Molly

Molly

Monday 27 July 2009

Agility club, flying Labradors and sprinting judges!

Well then, KC show number 3.
After a shaky start, late leaving work, car too small to fit anything but me and the dogs in, and a temperamental roof box, we set off to Newbury. The tent's first outing was overall a success, I won't go into the details, but needless to say I forgot the exact method of putting it away!
Molly and I didn't gel on Saturday, tiredness on my part and perhaps the wrong frame of mind. Six weaves seem to be our nemesis at the moment. She looks at 12 and goes full pelt, show her 6 and she seems to say, "only 6, why bother?!" Now in reality it is more likely that I see 6 weaves and think "ahhh she hates 6 weaves" and she senses the panic and comes out. Will be working on this in the coming weeks.
Sunday was a much better day, although we had a pole in the jumping she flew and the agility would have been great but she missed her dog walk. Still a plan has already been developed to mitigate against that next time. Although Sunday didn't provide us with a clear (which at her speed would have stood a good chance of being placed), it has given us some areas to work on. The highlight of the weekend, was the judge in one of the classes, who 200 grade 1 dogs in, must have been pretty fed up. His expression from the start line read, "how dull, yet more pet agility and a Labrador to boot"! As I let Molly go, he was casually sauntering towards the dog walk, as she took off, he looked alarmed for a wee moment and then sprinted to get to the end of the walk! I was chuckling and very proud of my girl. I like it when she turns heads. When we really get it together she will be immense. Lots of compliments on her looks and ability! Jason very kindly videoed Sunday's runs, so I'll add them when the Gardners return from their week away.
And little Fin, the hooligan, had lots of trips round the rings, met many previously alien breeds of dog (particularly fascinated by a standard Poodle!) and did some intensive Leah training! He is coming along in leaps and bounds. Still highly strung (Collie after all) and wary of peculiar things - this weekend's fear was a stuffed purple Labrador toy, but he's a clever boy!
I have a good feeling about KC Festival and DINAS, and can't wait. The search has begun for a bigger car, the clock is ticking.....

2 comments:

  1. Vicky, your post reminded me of one of my first judging appointments. Starters agility. Jump dog walk to start. Big lab on the line. Yawn, this one will walk across. So stood there... omg was I wrong, the dog took off and I had to do the same thing as your judge and sprint to the end of the dog walk!! I was gobsmacked and never underestimated the speed of a lab again! The dog went on to win my agility class that day.

    Oh and your picture at the top of your blog almost makes me cry every time I come on here. I just look and see my Spud every time! You really have one beautiful girl there. She certainly turns my head everytime I see her.

    Mand

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mand, only just seen this. thx for nice words and encouragement. xx

    ReplyDelete